For languages in which a court interpreter examination or the Department of State Conference level examination do not exist, interpreters who wish to work at the DC Courts may join the DC Courts Interpreter Registry as a qualified contract interpreter if the interpreter completes the following:
- Email to interpreters [at] dcsc.gov your resume and a statement of interest in working at the DC Courts as a contract interpreter. OCIS staff will acknowledge receipt of your email, review your resume, and instruct you to complete the following steps:
- Register as an entity with the U.S. government’s System for Award Management (SAM) at sam.gov. Once your SAM registration has been activated, contact OCIS staff to provide your Unique Entity ID and CAGE number.
- Pass three (3) exams, in the following order:
- A written English exam.
- An Oral Proficiency Interview in English.
- An Oral Proficiency Interview in your target language.
Pass the United States Department of State-Seminar Level exam in the target language. (A State Department letter stating you have passed the Seminar Level examination in the target language must be provided to OCIS staff as proof of qualification).
- Pass a criminal history background check.
- Watch a video presentation and pass a quiz on the Interpreter Code of Ethics, Please see this page.
- Complete an Orientation Workshop for New Interpreters in the District of Columbia Courts.