Seals of the Court of Appeals and Superior Court
District of Columbia Courts

Application for Change of Name

Generally, under District of Columbia law, people can change their name through marriage, divorce/legal separation, or by filing a name change application in court. Changing a name through any of those processes requires that you do specific things. The process of filing a name change application involves filling out specific forms, appearing before a judge, and it may also involve notifying third-parties. If you do not understand how to fill out the forms and follow court procedures, you should talk to a lawyer (JIC staff cannot provide legal advice).

JIC handles name change applications for both adults and minors. Applications for Change of Name of a Minor (a person who is under the age of 18 years) will ultimately be handled by the Family Court, but applicants may begin the process in JIC.

Under District of Columbia law, to apply for a legal name change the person must:

  • have lived in the District of Columbia for a least six (6) months before filing the application;
  • complete and submit the Application for Change of Name, as well as supporting documentation;
  • be at least 18 years old (a parent, legal guardian, or next-of-kin may apply on behalf of a minor child); an
  • pay the court filing fee (or get a Fee Waiver if you qualify based on your low income)


Detailed instructions are included at the beginning of each application.

Title Download PDF
Application for Change of Name of an Adult Download
Application for Change of Name of a Minor Download
Judge-in-Chambers Office

Moultrie Courthouse
500 Indiana Avenue, NW
Room 4220
Fourth floor

Get Directions
Hours of Operation

8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


All government holidays

Office Number

(202) 879 - 1450